Block 1 of 3 in preparation for IM Maryland is complete. Overall I’m happy with how my overall fitness has progressed; swim and run are going well, but my bike needs some additional work. This initial block I was focusing on running, and I was happy to get in some great speed workouts.
- My plan was to have a run focus for this block 3 week block. This included a weekly track session and tempo run, as well as a long run that had some intervals, and a few easy runs throughout the week.
- I had planned on doing my first simulation day (4 hour ride, 2 hour run), but scratched it after my first long ride went so poorly
- I had no races planned during this block
- I wasn’t planning on following a specific Trainer Road plan because the focus was on the run, but I did still wanted to hit some good bike workouts
By the numbers:
- 58 hours of total training (about 19.33 hours/week)
- 6:33:21 of swimming (11.3%)
- 20,272m of total swim distance (3,250m was my longest swim)
- 33:45:49 of cycling (58.1%)
- Estimated 1,066k of cycling distance (214k was my longest ride)
- 17:48:29 of running (30.6)
- 227k of total run distance (30.3k was my longest run)
- 2 open was swims (the 3rd was cancelled because of weather)
- 0 strong indoor bike workouts
- 2 flat tires
- 3 track workouts
- 2 tempo runs
- 0 days with no workouts
What went well:
- I regained confidence in my running. My track sessions went really well. I was able to hit my paces and run strong. My long runs also went really well, and I don’t find the long runs nearly as daunting as I once did.
- I’m happy with my open water swimming. I don’t think I necessarily got faster, but I’ve gotten very comfortable in open water. I’ve gotten better at sighting, and navigating slower swimmers.
- I tested gels as my fuel on my long rides and it seemed to work well. I was taking a gel every 25min, and aiming to drink a bottle of Gatorade every 50min. This might be a little on the low side of calories, but it’s worked pretty well.
What didn’t go well:
- My first long ride my lower back was really sore. My second long ride again I was sore, and I think my goal watts are too high because I cracked at 3:30:00. I was trying to hold 250+ watts and my legs just gave up around 125k.
- I didn’t make time for quality bike workouts on the trainer. I can’t forget that the bike makes up over half of the race, and as such cannot be on the back-burner.
- Recovery week. This week is a recovery week for me before my next 3 week block.
- Bike focus. I really need to make sure I can be comfortable (no lower back pain), and lay down good power on the bike for over 4.5 hours. Maryland is flat so I don’t want to have to be getting out of aero to stretch out my back/neck.
- Big days. Lisa and I are going to Lake Placid for 4 days where I plan on putting in some big milage. Also, I’m hoping to join Anne and Frank for their big day workout. And, I’m looking to get a group together to head to Welland for a big day of training.