I’m 10 weeks out from Ironman Lake Placid. IMLP will be my first ‘pro’ Ironman race. I’ve never raced Placid before, but I’ve been there 4 times to train and I’m very familiar with the course.
In the countdown to race day I’ve decided I want to keep a log of how my training is going, week-by-week. I’ll focus on the key session for the week. Typically I’ll pick a couple of key sessions that will be my weeks focus. I will sacrifice other workouts if I need to for the key sessions.
This week was a run focus. My quality runs haven’t been where I need them to be, especially tempo efforts. This needed to change, so my week was set up around:
- A 25k-ish long run with a 15k tempo effort
- Fast 4:00 intervals
Additionally, after getting a new bike over the weekend I needed to get outside for my first outdoor ride of the year.
Here is how the workouts went:
- Really happy with tempo effort and overall run. Tempo was 58:30 (3:51/km pace) and overall run was 4:08/km pace.
- Got into a good rhythm and knocked out kilometers.
- My first week doing a Tuesday morning tempo. I had too much Coke before I left and could feel it in my stomach when I started running.
- Took me longer to warmup and get into the run than planned (5-6k instead of 3k)
- I didn’t take any nutrition, though I had some flat Coke and a gel with me.
- Good, not great, run.
- I wanted to run on treadmill to control/force speed, but the condo treadmills suck and couldn’t get up to speed.
- Legs felt a little fatigued, but intervals all seemed to be around 3:30/km pace.
- 0:30 rest, 1:30 jog between intervals.
- Very up and down ride for me. Felt great leaving Rouge Go. Then my energy crashed. I had a couple good spurts including a 20min TT @ 289W and a couple solid 5k TTs.
- Bike felt good and comfortable. Bar tape not as comfortable though, I could feel all the road vibrations.
- Glad to get the first long ride in the books.
- Overall a successful week of training. Bike workouts weren’t quite where I would have liked, but glad to have some solid runs to help gain some confidence.
- Also managed 14 100m in the pool that included a big 30×100, 10×50 set in the pool Saturday evening (generally 14 000m is the minimum swim distance I aim for in a week).
- Next week my focus will shift back to the bike, both on the trainer, and getting in a solid ride outside on the weekend.