This was an up and down week training.  The fatigue from the milage began to take it’s toll on me, especially the effort that my Monday tempo takes, but I was able to salvage it with a strong long run Saturday.

Sept 30, 2013 – 18k Tempo

These Monday runs are my toughest runs of the week.  Speed is high right from the start and the legs start burning early on.  I was happy with how my 18k tempo went, but it really hurt.  I managed a 4:19/km average for 1:17:52.  I’m not sure if I’m going to do 20k next week or change it up.

Oct 2, 2013 – 8km easy, 12k hard

Right from the start of this run I could feel my legs were tired.  The run on Monday took a lot out of me and I just didn’t have it.  When I started running the 12k hard I thought about cutting it down to only 10k hard.  Ultimately I only ran about 4k hard because I toned it down, and only ended up getting in 18k total.  This was a disappointing run, but my right knee was tight and I knew shutting it down was the right thing to do.

October 3, 2013 – 3 x 1600m track, then 8k easy group run

After yesterday didn’t go well I wanted to get in a short, but strong track session, followed by a recovery type run.  I did my 1600′s all under 6:00, which was my goal, then used the 8k group run to get some extra distance on my legs and make sure I was running with good form as I got fatigued.

October 5, 2013 – 36k long run (13k followed by 23k)

My long run was split into two runs.  I was first going to do 13k solo first thing in the morning.  Then I was going to hop on the GO and head downtown to do another 23k with Lisa.  I was out the door running for my first 13k at 5:40 and it was really dark outside!  The air was nice, the roads were quite, and it really was a good time.  I kept to roads because it was so dark I wanted the street lights to guide me.  I kept my pace around 5:00/km, which was a good long, slow pace for me.  Before I headed downtown I got on the foam roller for a couple minutes to massage my IT bands.  During longer runs my knees usually start bothering me when I start running after I’ve stopped.  I was going to have over an hour between my two runs, so I wanted to stretch them out as best as I could.  Between the runs I took in some food and water so I wouldn’t have to carry much for my second run.  Lisa and I ran along the waterfront trail to High Park.  We did a couple laps of High Park, then back along the trail.  It had been a while since I’d been to High Park so it was great to run there and see it.  It was supposed to rain, but the day turn out great.  I had some knee discomfort when we were running through High Park, but nothing that I had to stop.  When we were running back along the waterfront trail Lisa decided to push the pace and we had a 3km stretch where we averaged under 4:35/km.  The pace for the entire run was 4:56/km.  I was happy with how it went, but my legs felt shattered afterwards.