On Saturday I finished the 6 week Sweet Spot I program on Trainer Road (TR). This also marked my being 6 weeks back into training. Here are my thoughts on training so far:
- Really happy with the progress so far, feel like I’m about back to where I was….except for longer endurance stuff, that will have to wait until I’m riding outside.
- It’s time to really pickup the run. I’ve been spoiled training inside where it isn’t -20, but I need to get back to it if I want to hit my goals for this year.
- I love power data! The virtual power on TR has definitely motivated me to push in workouts and I’m working harder on the bike than I ever have before.
- Sunday I completed my 2nd FTP test (my first was the first TR workout) and my virtual FTP jumped from 250 to 289! This is a combination of an increase in fitness, and being so new back into training when I did it the first time that I had forgotten how to really push myself.
- Virtual watts don’t compare to real world watts though, so no sense in comparing with someone who has a power meter. My numbers may be off by as much as 30 watts, but as long as I keep the setup the same I will get consistent readings to track progression.
- So far I’ve done 2 workouts at my new FTP and they both REALLY hurt. Today I did 4x10min at FTP and only hit my power on the final interval. I may roll my FTP back to 285 or 280.
Looking ahead I’m going to use this next 6 week period to develop my bike and run in unison.
- I plan to ride 3-4 times a week, and run 3-4 times a week.
- I’ve moved on to the Sweet Spot Base 2 plan (6 weeks). The plan is 3 rides a week. I will either pick another ride from the ride library, join a group spin, or only ride 3 times a week.
- I want at least 3 quality runs per week. It’s still slippery around here so I can’t too anything too hard. I’d like to get into some interval running, like 4 x 2k hard, 1k easy to get my speed back up. An early season goal is to get back to running just under 4:00 pace on hard intervals.
- I don’t see any runs over 24k in the near (or not so near) future. I’m not running a marathon or doing an Ironman, and think I can get more out of harder runs.
- I may get into the pool sometime in the next couple weeks, but it’s not really a concern of mine right now.